Saturday, April 16, 2011

Rock Opera Final Project

Hey everyone,

Instead of cluttering your in-boxes with an email, I decided to post a notice for anyone else interested in composing and playing a short rock opera with me for the final project. Although I've already written a few themes with friends following the course, I would love more collaboration from people within the class. Thus far, I'd like to address themes like death, relationship between humanity and the divine, and prohibition (i.e. Fall of Numenor).

Cheers.

Ari Epstein

3 comments:

Earelevant said...

If you need someone to help you sing it, I'm a decent alto.

Alexis C.

Merry said...

Ooh ooh, pick me! I sing soprano in an a cappella group and play piano, and can help with songwriting (I have notation software and a keyboard hookup, if that's at all useful to you).

This sounds awesome!

-Merry Herbst

"Tolkien: Medieval and Modern" said...

Many thanks for your responses, Alexis and Merry. I have since changed the project a bit. I pasted the text from my discussion board text below. Please let me know if you are still interested, despite the change:

In my blog post from last Saturday afternoon, I reported that my project would address themes like death, relationship between humanity and the divine, and prohibition (i.e. Fall of Númenór). However, since preparing for and sitting in this afternoon's class, I realized that a new frame for the Ainulindalë would likely feature all three themes within a feasible narrative. Thus, I will musically sub-create a frame for the Music of Ainur according to the King's Men during their corruption by Sauron.